From:
Bobby Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:12:21 -0400
Hi Darcy,
Bobby Rockwell here.  The first thing that I would do to get rid of the
silverfish is to vacuum in all the cracks and crevices where they might hide
including the paintings only tone down the suction.  They like their
habitats to be dark and damp.  A dehumidifier would be a great help along
with a little more light.  They like to live near the source of food so I
would imagine the book bindings would be a great attraction.  If the area is
heavily infected a person might have to resort to traps and dust powders.
Silica gels such as Dirone Dust will also help dry an area, but because it
is a chemical there may be other effects.
The next course is then try to figure out what attracted them in the first
place and eliminate that.  Leaking pipes or other moisture sources are big
attractions to these pests espically in dark areas.  Left out food is
another great source for Silverfish.  Good luck.  We have them in the
basement where our air handling eqipment is and if ignored it doesn't take
them long to travel the entire building.
Best,
Bobby Rockwell