From:
JANNA C KIMEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:54:51 -0500
Laura,

I worked with several groups of special needs kids over the last three
years.  It is difficult to give one solution, since each child is different.

But, one of the most successful programs we did included the five senses. It
is important to keep everything really simple. We had a station where the
kids made clay w/cornstarch and water (touch), a station with hot/cold,
sweet and salty foods (being careful of allergies) (taste), we made boxes
with holes in them and put different items in for the kids to smell--or you
can make a simple dough and add flavored kool-aid--smell and touch, and made
simple musical instruments with found objects for hearing, had really fun
big and small magnifying instruments for sight. Don't expect a project from
them, simply let the kids enjoy these new experiences.

As for preparation, the teacher might talk to the kids or read Danny and the
Dinosaur--about a trip to the museum.  The autistic kids might need to be
slowly sensitized into being in a big, loud place with many people. they
should bring plenty of chaperones!
Hope this helps,
Janna Kimel
formerly of Kohl Children's Museum