From:
Karen Bradford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:37:02 -0800
Dear Deb ~

You are NOT "a nut" to go to Iceland. (The truly nutty part, however, is
willingly scrunching into the Iceland Air economy seats: Even at 5'3", I
thought I would have had more room in a coffin.)

I loved Iceland from the moment I saw it: It looked like a soggy lunar
landscape. Do take "The Golden Tour" for a nice overview that you will not
otherwise get in only three days. Be sure to go to the swim center that you
can probably walk to from your hotel: It's lovely to sit outside in the
great big whirlpools, soaking pools, or steam off several layers of skin in
the sulfur steam bath.

I went to ride the Icelandic horses, which are true horses ---- albeit
short ones --- and not ponies. Their most wonderous gait called the tolt is
something like flying, although when I looked down at the volcanic rocks
blurring beneath us, I thought that if I fell, my skin would be ripped to
ribbons: a good incentive to stick in the saddle. Still, it was one of the
best days in my life.

I went by myself and was very happy. Everyone spoke English, except the
lady I frantically asked for help when I jammed my locker door shut at the
swim center while I was naked. That is when I discovered that Icelanders
are very kind to foreigners.

Very best wishes for the most enjoyable of trips! (And please tell us what
you are doing on the rest of your trip.)

Karen Bradford

P.S. The duty-free "Fly Mart" at Keflavik airport had some excellent
discounts on Icelandic sweaters. Check this out when you land so you'll
know comparative prices in town.