From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:38:10 -0700
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is the 4th largest NHM in
the U.S. and is the largest on the Pacific rim.  It has about 300 staff.

We have a full time webmaster (responsibilities include the web, the
hardware, the Internet connection itself and other "new media" projects).
He spends about 30 hours/week on web related projects.

In addition, we have:

8 hours/week staff time from our education department
4 hours/week staff time from our development department
4 hours/week staff time from our IT department
4-8 hours/week volunteer efforts
10 hours/week student work study

As for expenses, we work on a fairly small budget of maybe $10,000/year
which includes all annual hardware and software upgrades, photography,
outside editing, etc.

We get about 400,000 hits to our web site each month which is about 13,000
per day.

These are rough estimates...

Jim Angus

>I'm a free-lance writer and researcher. A large Virginia museum has
>offered me a small fee to do make some quick inquiries about other
>museum website operations.
>
>The museum in question is re-examining its website, which has been up
>and running for nearly two years. I've been asked to see if I can round
>up some comparative data on website staffing and expenditures at other
>institutions to help prepare a briefer.
>
>I'm just after basic ballpark data: how many people a large organization
>employs to operate and maintain its web site, how many hits a day, and,
>roughly, the annual budget for the operation. The idea, of course, is to
>compare what other organizatins are doing, with what this museum is
>doing or should be doing.
>
>Whatever data you could share would, of course, be most useful. All
>replies are welcome. All information is for in-house use only.
>
>Off-list replies are fine if the topic is not of list-wide interest.
>
>Another museum webmaster told me there might be an archive of such data
>on the Net. Can anyone suggest where I might look?
>
>Best regards,
>Dennis Montgomery
>Claremont, Virginia

Jim Angus
New Media
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

http://www.nhm.org

voice:  213/763-3317 or 213/763-3245
fax:    213/746-2999
eMail:  [log in to unmask] = [log in to unmask]

When they told me I was average, they were just being mean.