Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:08:30 EST
The Australian War Memorial used scents in our last major exhibition. It
was supposed to smell like a jungle, but it didn't smell like any jungle
I've ever been in, but maybe I am just being biased because I had some
reservations about its installation in the first place. I don't know what
affect it has on visitors, but I'm about to try to get some feedback on
that.

The reservations I had about its installation were conservation based
(affect on plastics, easily corroded metals, etc) and concern for the
staff, such as guides, who would spend much of their working day near the
stuff. Our Conservation Scientist looked at the stuff & declared it to be
safe from a conservation viewpoint, and 12 months later we've seen no
problems yet.

I think that the Imperial War Museum in London used scents in their WW1
trench display, but I'm not sure.

George Bailey
Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial