Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:52:28 -0500
While the specific conclusions of either scientists and religious
persons are often the immediate terms of debate, it is the different
methodologies for interpreting reality that represent a basic
contradiction.

Scientific investigation is based on empirical evidence and so, as that
body of data grows, as hypotheses are tested, conclusions are refined
or discarded accordingly. The overall motion is, however, toward a more
accurate description (and understanding) of the material world.

Religious faith, no matter how well-intentioned (or in the case of the
current government, ill-intentioned), follows a distinctly different
methodology.

Materialism does indeed take some courage these days in the United
States, as noted in the New York Times essay cited earlier in this
discussion on museum-l. When science education is censored out of the
schools, or out of the science centers, the result is children (and
adults) inculcated with obscurantism, to varying degrees.

On the other hand, students (and the rest of us) are subjected to
regular cant about 'values' and 'fidelity' precisely to instill
unquestioning obedience to authority, especially the Great White Father
in Washington (President "trust me"), on "the road to Providence."
(yesterday's speech)

That is not to say that students (or anyone else) will put up with
nonsense forever, but only one of these approaches will enable you to
ever determine that something is nonsense, or how much damage it might
do to you or the rest of the world, or what you might do about that.

-L.D.