From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:46:24 -0600
It has been said that employers have 200-400 applicants for each job and do
not have the
time and resources to deal with responding back to each and every applicant.
However,
there are the hearts and souls of the applicants, who spend hours/days
putting together 11 to 12 pages of answers for the required 11 to 12
questions that are often said to be "detailed".   Then you receive a 100%
(plus you are a veteran so you get an additional 5%), but then you never
even get a call back or an interview.  There is the cost of time, the cost
of paper, postage (priority, UPS, etc.) the cost of envelopes,
printer/toner, etc.  There is the time applicants takes
off work to fly to interviews and often many positions have you pay 1/2 way,
or your hotel room, or reimburses you (months later).

It think it is a case of "professionalism" on the part of employers.   How
do they want to
"brand" themselves as professionals?   It is also called "consideration" and
ethics to me to send a reply back when I am in that position.

Call it as you like it, but to many it is simply bad taste and rude.   True,
it is not just with museums, but state jobs or any job you apply for today.
Employers have their "pick of the crop" and they can be very selective to
get the right person for the position.   However, in the process, they need
to hold some professionalism standards by responding back to each and every
applicant.

If they cannot do this, they should not be advertising the job.  It should
be part of the budget and expense......and simply their job.   If five or
ten people are interviewed -- how expensive are 5 or 10 letters and stamps?
Many employers don't even respond back to those they interview, let alone to
each and every applicant who applied.

Personally, for me -- when I do not get an answer back it puts a big
"negative" in my mind about the museum or employer.   Call it human nature.
Yes --- it means, it was probably the best that I did not get the position
with them, if that is the way they handle their public relations.  However,
I am also a possible "visitor" to their museum or business in the future.
Do you think I would go there or pay an admission charge to see their
museum?   Not on your life.

And I am only one ~~~ what are the 400 applicants going to say "positive"
about that museum or employer?

"Hey Frank, do you know of any museums I can visits why passing through ZXY
town?  I
heard that ZXY museum was were wanting to work in the area."

Frank just so happened applied at ZXY museum and never heard a word back
from them, after he spent $200 on a flight for an interview, and hours
filling out their questions, cost of sending a letter overnight---with time
had $300 to $400 in costs, plus having to miss work for the interview.
What would Frank's response be?

"Bob, I don't know about that museum...the staff is not to friendly there,
and I heard it
was not that great of a museum.....not very professional in their standards
which reflects
badly on their exhibits and staff's attitude.  My opinion of course, take it
or leave it...but the
ABC museum, in the town of ABC, I heard has an excellent exhibit on "Humming
Bird Feeding"
that you are interested in and you don't want to miss that!  Bob, too, their
staff and docents are great!  In fact, I recently sent a job application to
them.  And do you believe this......they responded back that they received
it.  Then a few weeks later, I got a call from a Board member and they are
very interested in me....and I have an interview next week!  They are paying
my way down on the weekend, so I will not miss any work"

Maybe that is over-doing it..but is a form of bad and good PR museums can
receive.   And negative words do spread.

IMHO, I would not like that sort of negativity to get out about the museum I
was directing or worked.  In fact, I would have the consideration to reply
back to each and every applicant that applied.  I'm sure ABC Museum would be
sending out letters to those who applied for the position Frank interviewed
for.

As I mentioned before, the applicants who apply for positions with YOUR
museum, could be possible donors or maybe even your boss later on in life.
It is just a "win win" situation to always put your best foot forward.
Treat each applicant with respect..and it will return two-fold back to you.

Too, when the market changes, museums and employers will be searching for
good, professional people, but do you think Frank is going to want to work
for you or apply for the position if it is offered again?   Frank is likely
going to be working instead at ABC museum and your direct competition.

Best,

John