From:
Moira Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:12:08 +1030
Dear Michele,

I looked at the subject of controversial exhibitions when researching and
writing a book entitled "Making Representations: Museums in the
Post-colonial Era". The book deals with cultural politics in museums,
particularly in relation to the interpretation of indigenous cultures and
immigrant communities in the UK, North America and Australia, so it covers
history, ethnography and art exhibitions.

The central theme of the book concerns controversial issues and how museums
are responding to them. There are discussions of a number of controversial
exhibitions with references in the bibliography to many literature sources
that I used. Some of the exhibitions have been mentioned by earlier
respondents to your inquiry, but others have not so you may find the book
useful for identifying exhibitions of relevance to your studies and sources
for obtaining further information.

"Making Representations" was originally published by Routledge in hardback
in 1996 and has just been reprinted in a revised paperback format so you
should have no difficulty in tracking it down.

Best wishes,

Moira

Moira Simpson,
(formerly of Warwick University, England)
now in:
Department of Cultural Studies,
Flinders University,
Adelaide,