From:
Doug Lantry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 02:17:44 -0400
Ellen -- you might have a look at the following:

Philip Nobile (ed.), JUDGMENT AT THE SMITHSONIAN (New York: Marlowe, 1995)

To understand the basis of the controversy, some historiography is useful --
see the vast historiography of the atomic decision, the main
players being Barton Bernstein, John Hersey, Herbert Feis,
Gar Alperovitz, Martin Sherwin, Paul Fussell, Gabriel Kolko, and others.  Of
course, see writings by Truman, Stimson, and Byrnes.  See esp. Stimson in
Harper's Magazine, Feb. 1947.

Some good, short intro essays, useful for "boiling down" arguments, include:

Donald Kagan, "Why America Dropped the Bomb," COMMENTARY 100:3 (Sept.
1995), pp. 17-23.  See also "letters from readers" in 100:6 (Dec. 1995),
pp.3-14.

William Lanouette, "Why We Dropped the Bomb," CIVILIZATION 2:1 (Jan/Feb
1995), pp. 28-39.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your project!

Doug L.

Doug Lantry
University of Delaware