From:
Lori van Handel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 18:27:28 -0500
There is an excellent technical leaflet produced by the Canadian
Conservation Institute entitled:  Care and Preservation of Firearms.  It
can be acquired for $6.00 from

The Canadian Conservation Institute
1030 Innes Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0M5  CANADA
tel:  613-998-3721
(they take visa/mc over the phone)

Also,

The Upper Midwest Conservation Association sells a wonderful little
plastic kit with all you ever need to label all types of objects.  The
will soon publish a technical leaflet about it (as do we, write me if you
want a copy).  In any case, the labelling kit is about $20.00.

Order it from:

Helen Alten
Field Education Director
Upper Midwest Conservation Association
2400 3rd Ave. South
Minneapolis, MN  55404

I hope this has been of some help, without actually telling you what to
do, since there are s many "what if's" when it comes to doing anything
with specific museum materials.

Lori van Handel
Director of Field Services/Assistant Conservator
Williamstown Art Conservation Center
225 South Street
Williamstown, MA  01267

413-458-5741