From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:24:40 +0000

Jenny,

My dog walks me!

Many years ago when I worked at Colonial Williamsburg my best friend, one of the historic trades carpenters, took my dog to work almost daily, and over the years Sparky became an icon. School groups loved him because one of his favorite things was to grab a huge stick and make kids chase him, the landscape people loved him because all of the groundhogs started relocating, and the historic trades harness makers even made him an 18th century dog collar. But he was in a living history situation, outdoors. This is an appropriate place for an animal on a site - not where collections are kept or exhibited or in offices. My current dog has only been to my work a couple of times and that was only when it was an outdoor site project in a remote location. With permission of both my employer and the client. Those are rare situations - twice in almost five years. My work in conservation requires deep focus, often involving sharp tools, solvents, torches (in the case of outdoor sculptures), ladders, and lifts. I need to be focused on what I am doing and not worrying about a pet at the same time. So it is great when you can share your work life with your pet, but it has to be appropriate and a decision considerate of others.

Cheers!

Dave

David Harvey

Conservator