From:
Robin Le Van <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:46:36 -0600
Hi, Adam. Most museums sell unwanted stands, display cases, etc. to other
museums or retail display companies in their areas. You might try listing
them on museum-L and see what happens.

Deaccessioning is a trickier proposition. Most museums include a
deaccessioning policy in their collections management policy. Some museums
mandate the approval of their board in a deacessioning decision, for others
it is up to the head curator and a small committee. This decision, rightly
so, rarely rests in the hands of one person.

Once the decision to liberate an object from the collection has been made,
the decision of determining destiny presents itself. An auction house,
another museum or the trash heap -- these are all potential destinations of
the deaccessioned.

I'm certain that other members of our list can supply websites with such
information. I would suggest looking at a sampling of the collections
management policies of institutions you respect, discussing the matter with
your board and finding a course of action which is legal and comfortable for
both you and your board.

Best Wishes,
Robin