From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:52:20 -0800
Kimberly

I'm glad you brought this up....for me a reality check on a similar
situation with shoes and shoe boxes a few months ago, when some people
thought I was daft to keep shoeboxes.

In our historic house situation, linked to a local history museum, any
packaging with local business print on it is likely to be used in an exhibit
someday, so would be kept, unless duplicate.  Most of the shoeboxes weren't
local, however, so I decided that if we had a pair of shoes that matched,
we'd keep them; if not we'd keep only one box of each shoe manufacturer not
already represented in the boxes with shoes.  As for storage, it seemed to
me that if the shoes were fully protected from touching the acidic
cardboard, that it would be o.k. to store them in their original boxes, at
least until we had more storage space. -Though hats probably should be
stored separately, as you pointed out, unless the hatbox in question has a
really good surface coating covering up the acidic cardboard.

I guess the matter of keeping or not keeping depends on the likelihood of
someday having an exhibit enhanced by having kept them. (Or, in the case of
local businesses, any research value.) I tend to favor developing a good
product package collection, because things like that get pitched by almost
everyone at home, and in only a few years, depending on how fast packaging
styles change, people are really tickled to see them in an exhibit or in an
historic house, and they can really help 'bring alive' an exhibit. In an
historic house, those mundane things make the house more interesting and
more 'real' to visitors.

As you point out, though, there is a limit to storage, so as long as you
have enough to grace an exhibit keeping the rest is likely to be redundant.
At that point, though, visual appeal may enter the discussion, and if you
have a "Wow isn't that a great hatbox" I guess you might want to keep it. So
many things to think about!

Lucy Sperlin
Butte County Historical Society
Oroville, CA