From:
Edward Jay Pershey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:37:16 -0400
With that additional information, it's clear that you've worked hard over
the years to do "right" by the Wright stuff. Nonetheless the problems that
you're facing trying to find a suitable home for the material remain the
same: those with money to afford to buy this kind of material want only the
really prime, signed materials or photographs. Institutions that may have
the capacity and interest in collecting and preserving the contextual,
surrounding archival sources rarely have the funds to acquire through purchase.

The Western Reserve Historical Society, the Cincinnati Historical Society,
the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania, and others have active
programs for collecting business records and the archives of both for-profit
and non-profit corporations. But these collections are often acquired
through donations or even through an initial contract with the organization
which will pay the society to manage their archival records on an annual basis.

It is very, very difficult for a non-profit historical organization to both
find the funds for buying large collections, then find the funds to process
and manage them.

As you are finding out, the formation of permanent archival collections
through a new non-profit museum or the transfer of such collections to
another institution required long-term planning and cooperation.

We (the Western Reserve Historical Society) house the Crawford Auto-Aviation
Museum and have extensive artifact and archival holdings in the area of
Ohio-based aviation. If you'd like, send me written information on the
collection and I can present that to the Director of our library.
Edward Jay Pershey
Curator of Urban & Industrial History
Director of Education
Western Reserve Historical Society