From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:03:19 -0500
A gentle defense of the maligned career services office!  I've worked in a
career center of a well-off liberal arts college for six years (as web
designer and librarian), and most career counselors I know at institutions
throughout the state would *much* rather help the museum person than the
MBA-holder.  It often feels more to the counselors that the museum people
are following their dreams while too often the corporate types are following
the money or their parents' wishes, and every career counselor worth his/her
salt wants to help people down the path to their dream jobs (museum,
business, or otherwise).  The folks in the office where I've worked are
DESPERATE to shed the perception that they are only there for business
students.  It is an extremely difficult campus myth to bust, precisely
because of the kind of comments below.  If you never set foot in a career
office, you won't know whether they can help you--never assume they can't!

From the outside, the perception is probably born because there are simply
more classical "business" openings and that the MBA-type career track is so
well-established--proceeding to a job in the corporate world is almost like
proceeding down an assembly line (that's an oversimplification, but it
helps).  To be honest, finding jobs in the museum world is much more
individualized and often involves more effort on the part of the job-seeker
than would a corporate-type opening.  However, the career offices of many
schools are QUITE capable--and very willing--to help students with that sort
of job search.  No doubt, the knowledge base probably isn't as good for
museum résumés as a general rule, but that will never change unless job
seekers ask for it.  I have no doubt that counselors would want to add to
their knowledge in these areas.  I'm very sorry if your universities weren't
helpful, Stephanie, but I hope that won't stop people from approaching the
career offices of their own institutions--you might be pleasantly surprised!

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
http://www.factsmith.com/