From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:55:39 +0000
Hi Everyone,

One word of caution here. When I was the head of objects conservation at the regional lab at the University of Denver and also in my current position with a prominent private practice in Los Angeles I have encountered quite a number of insurance claim projects. While most insurers will cover conservation sometimes they will demand that the work be done by a low cost commecial company (as in disaster recovery claims), or if the estimated cost of the conservation exceeds the insured value of the object(s) the insurer will pay off as a total loss and then the objects at that point are their property. I have done a few treatments for insurers with objects that they owned as a result of a total loss pay off. So it behooves you to make sure that your declared insurance values are up to date, and that you put a clause in your contracts to ALL outside contractors and vendors (film production often can be a source of damage too) that they are to cover the total costs of damage such as staff time, transportation if needed, and professional conservation.

Cheers!

Dave

David Harvey

Conservator