From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:40:55 -0500
Deep breath, heavy sigh.

There's a lot of information available on the internet, isn't there?

This advice is probably not something the average museum employee should
attempt. It presumes a whole lot of things, including but not limited to:

1) access to a fume hood--an appropriate fume hood. One that's been rated,
inspected, properly installed, blah, blah

(Sidebar: if you don't have one of these or proper chemical storage
equipment (is your cabinet vented outside?) you shouldn't have these
chemicals in your workshop, either.)

2) the ability to test the laminate material to determine if it is
cellulose acetate...or maybe one of a dozen other plastics used to
laminate documents

3) the ability to test the ink to determine if treatment will cause it to,
oh, color shift, bleed, fade....

4) the ability to test the paper to understand what these chemicals will
do to it. Will they stain it, change its texture? What...

5) more than a passing understanding of paper conservation and the issues
contained therein.

As one who helps develop curricula for collections management and
conservation professionals, I am aware there's a ton of information on the
internet. Let's put on out Obvious Man (tm) suits here and admit that we
should all know one thing...WHEN NOT TO TREAT AN OBJECT. Sorry, it's too
cold to be on a soap box today.

There are a lot of professional, trained, thoughtful, and helpful
conservators working today. One good way to find them is through the
American Institute for Conservation. Google it. or try this link:
http://aic.stanford.edu/

Diane Gutenkauf
Chair, curriculum committee
Campbell Center for Historic Preservation Studies

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:16:12 EST, Barbara Hass <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The web site below describes removal of cellulose acetate  lamination
from a
>paper document
>--- bathing with acetone and naptha -- it includes  photographs of the
steps

>presented by a Univ of Texas graduate student
(mailto:[log in to unmask])