From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:41:58 -0500
I agree. I am curious why a single male visitor would pose a problem to women staffers.

As a male museum visitor who is more frequently alone than not, I am on the verge of being offended by your assertion. I am reserving my umbrage for a more complete explanation. I am sure there is a simple, innocent explanation.

But to answer your question, yes. I have noticed male visitors are more likely alone. But then I have tradtionally worked in museums of industry and technology, so I am hardly a representative sample. My current institution is currently crunching just those numbers, so  I will get back to you. I am sure someone has done a study to determine if this is true and if so why. I would start with a work of popular social science called "Bowling Alone," and move on from there.

Matthew White
Director, Hands On Science Center
National Museum of American History
Smithsonian Institution