From:
Ginny Cass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 20:11:12 -0700
Rosemary Healy wrote:

>  I'd like to open a mobile museum that could
> travel to different parts of the city as part of an education and
> "community bonding" promotioon.  I have the names of contacts for some
> private sponsors (local businesses) but was wondering what are my chances
> of receiving any grant money.  Would I have to ask the museum to write a
> grant proposal, or could i get money myself ?

I have been involved in several start-up programs, that is, programs
with no history, let alone a history of success.  I have found that for
the first four or five years, funding is almost impossible.  Local
sponsors and volunteers are your best bet while you are making yourself
a track record.  The upkeep of a vehicle makes the problem even more
difficult...there is maintenance, fuel, insurance, etc.  You will need a
cash flow, so maybe you will need to ask for a donation at the door.  If
you are indeed affiliated with a local museum, or library, they will
have a lot better chance of success at grant writing.

Be aware that most anyone who gives will want to deduct the contribution
so you will need a 501(c)3 - this is not a terribly difficult process
but I have found that the best way to get it done is by having a local
accountant or attorney do it pro bono. If you can use the 501(c)3 of an
established institution, so much the better.

If there is a possibility of having the city fund the project to some
extent, you will do well.  I would approach them about either cash
funding - unlikely in the tight circumstances most municipalities find
themselves in nowadays - or in-kind participation such as routine
maintenance at the city garage, advertising on the city's web page, or
coverage under their insurance plan.  It is possible they will see their
participation as a great PR tool (politicians often look for ways to
show their beneficence to the populace/voters).  Support from local
government is helpful when approaching other donors - even if it is only
in the form of a letter of support.

You will need to pitch your project at anyone who will listen.  I have
found in our small city (about 45,000) that local banks will often
contribute a few dollars to an unknown program.  Here the contributions
seem to range between $50 and $250, with about 2/3 of the banks giving
something.  They do have a funding cycle, require 501(c)3 numbers, and
usually have formal application procedures, but they are a great source
of seed money and once you have a list of donors, others will follow.

Good luck.  This sounds like a good project.  Gather several supporters
who will work at this project until it succeeds.  It will really take
only a few if they are articulate and truly excited about the program.

Ginny Cass
President, Board of Directors
Northern Rockies Heritage Center
P. O. Box 1884