From:
"Hall, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:38:38 -0400
Here onboard the Battleship New Jersey we have several annual events
that include participation of re-enactors. Some of these events include
our annual Spirit of 45 WWII Day, Vietnam Living History Day, etc. As
with all not-for-profit museums and historic sites trying to survive in
this volatile economy, we are limited as to what amenities we can extend
to re-enactors. However, we try to provide as much as we can and it has
resulted in creating an atmosphere where re-enactors not only enjoy
themselves but feel truly appreciated for what they provide to the
Battleship.

For example, for our Vietnam Living History Day, we gave all
re-enactors, and artifact exhibitors, a voucher that they could use in
our Chow Line to get lunch. In addition, we allowed them to stay
overnight onboard the ship free of charge during one of our Overnight
Encampments. This is very important as many re-enactors drive quite a
distance to participate in events, providing them with a free place to
sleep is paramount. Having the re-enactors onboard during a regular
Overnight Encampment allows our overnight campers to have a unique
opportunity to interact with the re-enactors. When the campers get in
line for dinner, we have the re-enactors get in line as well, this way
they can get dinner for free as well. By providing a free place for them
to sleep, and two meals, we have made participating in events onboard
the Battleship very attractive to re-enactors, at a minimum cost to the
Battleship. Thus, it is truly a win-win scenario for them and for us.

Being a re-enactor myself for about twenty years has definitely helped
me to see both sides and develop mutually beneficial programs for the
museum and re-enactors.

-Jason

JASON W. HALL
Vice President