From:
"Elizabeth A. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:35:12 -0500
Here at the Virginia Museum of Natural History, we have a section in our
collections policies that discusses that very issue.  Any object that enters
the museum is first reviewed by the appropriate curator.  If they decide
that the specimen is appropriate for the permanent research collection, then
they forward it for accession.  We have two levels of permanent collections,
the "never touch" stuff (type specimens, rare or unique, etc.) and the "can
be touched."  We then have a education/exhibit collection of non-accessioned
material.  So, if an object is not accessioned, it is then offered to the
education/exhibit staff for programs.

This process occurs no matter how an object enters the museum.  Even if the
original intent of the acquisition was not for accessioning (purchase,
donation, etc.), the curators can still request that it be accessioned if
the specimen merits it.  This prevents us from inadvertently placing an
object at risk (say, in a hands-on program) that should be protected from
harm.

Dr. Elizabeth A. Moore, Curator of Collections
Virginia Museum of Natural History
1001 Douglas Avenue
Martinsville, VA  24112