From:
A Cravens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 09:48:18 +0000
Cloy D. Tobola of the Plains Art Museum in Fargo, North Dakota wrote:

> I'm a new volunteer coordinator for a local nonprofit museum and I'm
> curious what software others are using for contact management and
> scheduling. Any information or suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

My favorite resources:

William A. Kleintop's of Seton Hall's Center for Public Service has a
Nonprofit Software Index at
http://www.shu.edu/~kleintwi/tnopsi/tnopsi.html
This is an excellent starting place for nonprofit organization's seeking
software for fund raising, accounting, volunteer management, project
management, training, etc. It has descriptions (supplied by the vendors)
of such software, and contact information.

The Philanthropy Journal, based in North Carolina, has advice for
deciding how to select the best software for your organization, at
http://www.philanthropy-journal.org/tech/jonas.htm
There's also an article on nonprofit databases at
http://www.philanthropy-journal.org/webchat/larsen.htm

NPO-NET is a service of the Information Technology Resource Center, a
nonprofit organization based in Chicago and dedicated to helping other
nonprofits use of computers and other technology. NPO-NET has an index
of Fundraising Software (often, people track funders and volunteers in
one database system, since so many do both) and an index of Fund
Accounting Software, both with descriptions of current packages, prices,
and contact information of publishers. Visit
http://npo.net
and click on "Computers as Tools for Nonprofits".

Professional Support Software has a page about what to look for in donor
management software at
http://www.fundraiser-software.com/donormgt.html

Tom Froehlich's Web site has information to help organizations evaluate,
purchase or implement fund raising software at
http://www.flash.net/~tfraise/
Includes an overview, "Fund Raising Software 101", detailed descriptions
of software features, and a link to software vendors.

Again, I include the info on fund raising software because many orgs
need to track volunteers and donors in the same system.

I have information on choosing specialized software (what to look for)
as well as how to build your own, basic database management and
maintenance, etc., at:
http://www.coyotecom.com
(there's one volunteer management software developer who loves my pages
-- says they bring him business -- , and another who hates my pages --
says they drive a way business --, so.... guess you can't please
everyone!)

--
YOUR REPLY TO SENDER BUTTON WILL NOT WORK WITH THIS E-MAIL
My return address has been altered to thwart efforts by bulk e-mail

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Jayne Cravens, Manager, Virtual Volunteering Program
IMPACT ONLINE ­ Turning Good Intentions Into Action
jayne at impactonline dot org
(replace at with @, dot with . ,and remove spaces)
http://www.impactonline.org/
512-440-0835