From:
Erin Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:30:08 -0400
I may not be recalling this properly--and the date is not relavent--but
I believe Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was renamed.  The junior was named
after his father, and when MLK Jr. was about 12, I think his MLK Sr.
learned of a paternal relative, and he renamed both himself and his son.
 This was now about 4 years ago that I heard this, and it may have been
a form of guide lore.  Check with the Martin Luther King National
Historic Site campus in Atlanta.  This was certainly what the guide told
us at the Birthplace, which is part of the park.

>>> Lenora Henson <[log in to unmask]> 03/20/07 2:00 PM >>>
A family Bible (circa 1878) recently found its way back to our historic
house museum.  According to a notation in the Family Record section, the
family's first daughter was re-named at the age of 14 months.  Her
mother
had died the previous month and the daughter’s new name was an obvious
tribute.

I’m just wondering if this was a common practice and/or if anyone out
there
knows of similar cases.  I am familiar with the practice of “recycling”
names of deceased children, but have had little luck in trying to
research
this particular situation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lenora M. Henson
Curator, Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural NHS

*Please note: The Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site preserves the Ansley
Wilcox House in Buffalo, NY where TR became the 26th President on
9/14/1901.  The above-mentioned Bible is NOT from the Roosevelt family.