From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:31:36 -0800
On 2/1/05 8:04 AM, Mark Janzen's electrons arrived as:

> God was not thinking anything. The existence of nipples on human males, and
> many other mammalian species, has been explained long ago.

My question was not directed as a challenge to science, but rather to
fundamentalist religion.  If God created humans supernaturally -- male first
-- why would he bother to give males breasts and nipples?

> As to the Theory of Evolution, it does indeed remain a theory.

The evidence that modern organisms have evolved from older ancestral
organisms and are continuing to do so is overwhelming and is considered by
biologists to be a fact.  Evolution is a fact but it is also a theory -- or
collection of theories -- about the mechanisms of how evolution takes place.
When scientists use the term "theory" they are not referring to the
vernacular meaning of the word, which as you pointed out, is often
mistakenly used to make a hierarchical judgment that something is "just" a
theory -- as in "merely a cavalier speculation."  This has caused confusion
in the public arena, and is something the creationists and ID apologists
have deftly exploited.