From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:43:29 GMT
On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:36:50 +1000, Colleen wrote:

>We are grappling with some interesting membership issues.  Could I ask the
>following questions about what others are doing?
>
>Does anyone calculate profit for their membership program?
>If so, how?  (Is it just revenue less costs of operation?)

First of all, I kinda jump at the use of the word profit in the
context of membership.   I can only speak  for our own museum, a "non
profit, public benefit" institution.  In other words, we gain our tax
exempt status because we provide a benefit to the public who are, in
the main, our members.    Maybe, I am making too much out of the word,
but I feel strongly that our very existance is to serve our members
and our community, not to make a profit from them.  Yes, we do charge
fees for membership and we charge admission to the museum of
non-members.

 We do track both income and we also track expenses atributed to
membership i.e. newsletter, membership drives, printing and postage
for membership letters and direct costs associated with our annual
membership meeting.  We do it to know where our income is and to
continually watch (and justify) our expenditures.

>Does anyone tract retail/catering spend for their members? Is this used in
>profit calculations?

>Does anyone estimate or measure lost admission revenue (through member
>repeat visitation)?  Is this incorporated in calculation of profit?

I bristle at the mindeset that thinks "bottom line" on members
attending the exhibits.  I would be overjoyed if they came back every
day or week to see the exhibits.  That's what it is all about:
displaying art for peoples enjoyment and education.  This is why we
are in existance.

I appologize if I sound overly critical.  It is not that I am against
money, my gosh, we all know how much we need it to keep our
institutions open, but while doing this, we must never forget why, and
for whom we open our doors, it is not to make a profit.

John Bing, Trustee,
Laguna Art Museum

>Your experiences will help us.  Replies on Museum-L or, if there are issues
>you would like to discuss personally, to [log in to unmask]  Please note
>that I am attending the World Federation of Friends of Museums meeting in
>Sydney all next week, and will attend to any replies on my return.
>
>Thank you all!

Museum-L" (without the quotes).