From:
nicholas p ciotola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:56:48 -0500
Megen,

The oral history release form for the Historical Society of Western
Pennsylvania contains the following language:

I, __________, hereby authorize the Historical Society of Western
Pennsylvania to possess and use my tape or video recorded oral history
memoirs. It is my complete understanding that the original tape and/or an
acceptable copy, tape log, tape abstract, or full transcription will be
donated and become the property of the Historical Society of Western
Pennsylvania.  I also understand that information from my interview may
be used for research, quotation, publication, and other purpsoes in the
larger study of western Pennsylvania history.

The oldest and most respected Oral History Program is located at Columbia
University -- The Columbia University Oral History Research Office.
Other leading university-based oral history programs include the
University of New Mexico Oral History Program, UCLA Oral History Program,
University of Florida Oral History Program, and the Indiana University
Oral History Research Center.  Museums with well-established oral history
programs include the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, the
Smithsonian, and Ellis Island.

The Oral History Association (OHA) is the leading organization for the
study of oral history in the United States and is sub-divided into
various regional chapters.  The OHA is currently headquartered at
Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. If you are interested in
contacting other institutions with oral history programs, I believe that
the links page on the OHA site is quite extensive.

Nicholas P. Ciotola
Curator, Italian American Collection
Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15217