Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:56:34 -0500
Thanks for all the advice!

>===== Original Message From Museum discussion list
>    First, let me thank everyone who responded to my question about career
transition from art law to museum management.  I am following up on all
suggestions.

>    David, my advice for a law student interested in working in the field of
art law would be to gain as much "practical" experience as you can before you
graduate.  I suppose I'm telling no great secret when I say that law school
teaches a lot of theory.  The more real world experience you gain, the better
your chances of moving right into a law firm position.  Try a Volunteer
Lawyers Association, if there is one in your city.  I interned at one and
learned first-hand how to interview clients and assess cases.

>    Join organizations that offer the chance to network with practicing
attorneys.  As the former chair of the Pennsylvania Bar's Art and
Entertainment committee, I always made sure to offer networking events so that
law students could learn and mingle.  Check to see if your state or city bar
has such an organization.  The American Bar association has a sports and
entertainment forum that offers topnotch seminars.

>    Lastly, I gained a lot of experience by volunteering to be on the boards
of nonprofit organizations.  Most groups are always in need of someone with a
legal background to offer assistance.  Good Luck!