Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 11:15:54 EST
   In one of my previous engagements, I was deputy director of a small
   public garden where the director was getting in dutch with the Board.
    The Chairman came to my office and drew me an organizational chart
   with a dotted line from me, passing by the executive director, and
   connecting directly to the Board chairman.  The point was he wanted me
   to report to the Board without the Director's knowledge or
   participation (particularly regarding financial and personnel
   matters.)

   Well, after he left, I closed my office door, sat and thank
   for a bit, called the Director, had a private chat with him about this
   development, and wrote a note to the Board saying that I was
   responsible to the Director, who, in turn was responsible to the
   Board.  I then hid under my desk, quivering.

   After the Director left the organization, the new president of the
   Board commended me for my loyalty and sense of propriety, and I
   eventually moved on under my own steam.

   A bit hairy, but alls well that ends well.

   Eric Siegel