Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 09:59:50 +0000
--- Darryl MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A type of community curatorship that I have heard
> about as well is the use
> of iPods as interpretive tour guides through a
> museum.

These links all relate to 'unauthorized' audio guides
of museum collections. They are mostly about
interpretation by 'outsiders' rather than
collaboration between curators and others.

The initial hype about this started last year, however
a big problem is that users need to download the
recording before visiting the museum, and it seems
that very few are organized enough to do this. The
idea doesn't seem to have taken off yet.

Network technologies will in the future mean that
unauthorized guides will be downloadable to phones or
PDA's while in the museum (linked to the museums
location via GPS) which should make them much more
accessible.

Actual tours:

smARThistory
http://www.smarthistory.blogspot.com/

MoMA 'unofficial' Audio Guides
http://homepage.mac.com/dave7/ArtMobs/FileSharing52.html

Take One Museum - BBC museum audio tours
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/take_one/downloads.shtml

Gallerycast directory
http://www.gallerycast.com/directory

Articles about tours:

Introducing Slate Audio Tours (July 26, 2005)
- The commentary museums don't want you to hear.
http://www.slate.com/id/2123266/?nav=ais

ArtMobs
- Art Mobs to Remix MoMA (With Your Help)
http://mod.blogs.com/art_mobs/

New York Times
- With Irreverence and an iPod, Recreating the Museum
Tour
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/28/arts/design/28podc.html?ex=1275019200&en=4da0e3ceb749d4e6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Walker Art Centre Blog
Podcasting museum audio tours – the sanctioned and
unauthorized
http://blogs.walkerart.org/newmedia/?p=81

Jeremy.