From:
"Janzen, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:39:05 -0500
Thanks David. I forgot to add that caveat to my discussion and agree 100%. I would always suggest that such work be done by trained conservators. All of our outdoor bronzes(42 works) are cleaned and coated by professionals except for basic cleaning as a result of bird poop and whatnot. **Thanks to all those people out there in museum donor land that make that impossible task possible for us.**

The reason I try to help my museum colleagues with such things is that I know they are going to do it themselves anyway in many circumstances, either as a result of lack of funds or some other reason. It seems better for them to have good and tested information than random internet hearsay. The care of trained professionals is certainly optimum, but care of any substantive form is better than none or worse yet harmful methodologies.

Great advice on placement and washing.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
316-978-5850