From:
Mark Hannah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 16:34:55 +1000
>Mark Erik Nielsen wrote:
>>
>> I would like to see responses to this question as well. Our museum is
>> currently examining the prospect of relocating and expanding our shop.
>> The shop is currently in an odd location and its too small, but we are a
>> small museum with no extra space, and we have obligations to expand certain
>> exhibition areas. One of my proposals had to do with combining some of
>> our decorative arts pieces within the shop environment. Although they could
>> have been installed safely, the response was cool, because some felt that
>> it would rub the academic contingent the wrong way. What do you think????
>>

>For several years we had in our store an antique motorcar of local
>manufacture, which we used essentially as a decor piece (though
>it did have a semi-informative label)--stuffed animals for sale were
>displayed on it.  Since the car was on loan and we had permission from
>the owner to use it this way (and since the thing was arranged by the
>director and we had no choice), we didn't worry about it too much.  There
>were stanchions around it to keep people from actually climbing on it.
>
>The difficulty came when it was time to return the loan.  Seems when we
>constructed our new store the car had been installed first and the store
>built around it!  It was only pure luck we did not have to knock a hole
>in the wall to get the thing out!
>--
>Janis Beth Wilkens
>Curator of Collections/Interim Director
>Museum of York County
>4621 Mt. Gallant Road
>Rock Hill, SC  29732
>803-329-2121    Fax:  803-329-5249
>mailto: [log in to unmask]

ComputerTalk - Still The One.......

ComputerTalk
Dr Gordon Land
GPO Box 337
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
Tel:+61 42 33 1896
http://ww.ozemail.com.au/~comptalk

ComputerTalk Magazine
Tony Curro
28 Vesey Street   STE 2250
New York, NY 10007-2906
Tel: +1(212)732-2838   FAX+1(212) 233-7718
http://www.inx.net/~ctalk

MuiscTalk
Mark Hannah
GPO Box 337