From:
Holly Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 19:09:52 -0500
Our museum has experienced interesting problems with mice and
trackballs.  We have an area called "DinoDig" which contains a large sand
pit. Since the day DinoDig opened, we have been cleaning sand out of the
trackball housings and/or mouse housings.  Most of the time, the trackballs
and mice just have to be replaced.  Unfortunately, the applications were
written specifically for mice or trackballs and cannot be changed to
touchscreens at this point.  Also, children have a tendency to "lean" on
the ball or mouse if it is not working perfectly.  They think that by
leaning on the equipment it will make better contact and work better.
Unfortunately, this ruins the equipment.

Keyboards are another interesting experience.  Kids love to change the
keys around to spell things we really wish they wouldn't, thus shocking
the next patron.  If the keyboard is in a case, they shove items such as
pencils, pens, odds and ends from their pockets under the cases and jam
the keyboards up.

Touchscreens seem to be our only answer.  Elographics' touchscreens are
the best we've seen as far as reliability and upkeep.  They were used in
one of our biggest exhibits and really stood up well.  We've tried several
brands of touchscreens and they all beat the other devices hands down.

Holly Henry
Systems Administrator
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
1501 Montgomery Street
Fort Worth, Texas  76107
Phone: 817-732-1631, ext 341