From:
"Hank T. Foreman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:27:12 -0500
Hello All,

First off, I believe Mr. Cogswell was the originator of the Job Opening
posting, and that the comment was in response to his posting.  Am I
correct?  In any case, without sounding too judgmental, I think the
statement was indeed made by someone "who left their social consciousness
at home."  If people feel it is appropriate to make such statements then I
think it is more than fair to expect people to respond to similar comments.

The gentleman who made the comment might have had numerous intentions when
making the statement.  Whatever his intentions might have been...only the

I feel the comment was inappropriate, but the author certainly has his
right to his opinion(which quite possibly is not entirely presented in his
brief statement).  Likewise, the eloquent folks who responded based on
their negative perception of this comment also own an opinion.  To ask
people to "leave their social consciousness at home" and not respond to
such statements sounds remarkably like a "protectionistic" strategy.  Some
people can't be allowed to say certain things and others told to leave the
list when their views differ.  After all, what is to stop Ms. Castillo from
suggesting that the option of leaving the list works both ways.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

(:  Hank  :)
Hank T. Foreman, Acting Director
Catherine J. Smith Gallery