From:
Audra Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:00:13 -0400
I am interested in being contacted by museums who would like to be part of a panel discussion at the 2008 Annual Meeting of the American Association of Museums (AAM).  The session topic is GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender) audience outreach.

I’d like to hear from museums that are engaging this diverse community, and create a dialog about such outreach at the annual meeting. I’m interested in hearing from museums who may have taken advantage of a short-term opportunity (such as a temporary exhibit), as well as those who have committed to longer-term relationships (through the creation of an advisory committee, for example).

Questions to address could include the following. How do you feel your museum is or is becoming a “leader” in GLBT outreach? How and why has you museum targeted GLBT audiences? Which specific GLBT audiences have you worked with (i.e. families, youth, adults, etc.)? What has the outreach looked like (an advisory council, exhibit, a program, etc.)? What have been the successes and challenges of your work with GLBT audiences? How have you incorporated community partners?

I work at Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens in Washington, DC where we began over six years ago to work with GLBT audiences in a focused, strategic way. Since then we’ve created an advisory committee, hosted GLBT public programs, been a part of local GLBT community events such as Capital Pride, and partnered with GLBT organizations in various ways.

Please contact me, Audra Kelly, off-list at [log in to unmask] I look forward to hearing from you.