From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:51:21 -0400
Computer access issues are especially valid for government employees.
Technically (although not in reality), anything I do on my machine is
government property and should be available to any other government
employee, especially since my branch of the federal government (National
Archives) saves information and provides it to the public and government.
 The National Archives recently even went through a big battle about
whether or not saving e-mail is necessary.

I remember some movie with Harrison Ford, in which there was an evil
government employee who was plotting something on his workplace
computer.  When they found it on there he screamed that he'd sue
because they'd looked in his personal files.  Nope.  It be government
property, buddy, and anything on it.  So.  The moral of the story:  don't
plot against the government on a government PC or keep anything on any
workplace PC stuff you'd be embarrassed to have your mother see.

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, Iowa  52358