From:
Joe Nagel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 15:05:04 -0800
>It is facile and counterproductive to suggest that curators would be better
>at learning programming than programmers or vice versa.  Surely, it comes
>down to  issues of collaboration, cooperation and good communication skills.

I agree with this comment.  One of the great benefits of some contemporary
software is that effective application, even design, need not involve
'programming' in the traditional sense.  To learn to operate, modify and
export data from contemporary systems is an achievable goal for many, if not
most, curators.  The self-sufficiency - and data set -  thus achieved can be
well worth whatever compromises are made.
Joe Nagel (KUSTOS Inc.)
2961 Semiahmoo Trail
Surrey, B.C.  V4P 1H4
604-531-6879, 604-594-2628 (FAX)