From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:17:48 -0500
For me the question is when does an item stop being  what it was meant to be and become an "artifact," no longer used for its original purpose but an object of study, nostalgia, memory, everything but what it was intended to be. It seems to me the flag in question was meant to be a symbol and focus of patriotism.  I could not get the article to download so I could not read it, but it seems to me that the American Legion and other actors in this event would probably not agree with our use of the term in reference to the flag. For them the flag still has a meaning and a purpose other than providing the rest of us with a focus for memory making. The ultimate disposal of the flag in a proper manner is a part of the same patriotic purpose it served when new. If this were a Native American object (or any ethnic, religious, national or civic group)  that still had a religious or national purpose, even if only symbolic,  we would not hesitate to say that a museum has much less a right to that item as an artifact than the nation or group that still requires its use, even if that use involves its distruction.  (Of course the problem here is no one knows whose flag it is, and as Americans we all view ourselves as being stakeholders in the disposition of the article)  I have waffled on this issue since I saw the
original post (and boy, hasn't this thread gone beyond the simple question she asked?) but ultimately I think the proper disposal of this flag is the right thing to do, and that is not easy for me to say.

A side note: Someone mentioned the original Star Spangled Banner and how it was not disposed of properly and how much the poorer we would all have been if it had.  That's an interesting story. For years pieces of the flag were cut off for various reasons, but mostly to be given to veterans or families of veterans of the War of 1812. Was that a desecration? Many would say so. But it was an act of honoer and  to me the story of what happened to the flag after the Bombardment of Fort McHenry is as interesting as what went before and if the flag had beeen put into a museum as soon as the battle was over, that story woould never have occured. As soon as something is donated to a museum, as important an act as that is, an artifact stops creating new stories (except the story of being an artifact in a museum) and starts telling only those stories it has accululated to that point. The flag at the WTC is still part of the story of the healing of this nation. Is the rest of the story that it becomes a museum artifact and a subject of reflection or that it be retired with dignity in a solemn ceremony? I have no idea, but, contrary to the people who thought this was not hte appropriate venue for this discussion, I am delighted we are discussing this issue, as I think it pertains to things less dramatic and emotion laden
as this flag. I just hope it is not too soon after the event to be able to debate the issue with a sense of professional detachement. So far so good.

Matthew White
Director of Museum
Mount Washington Observatory