From:
Jennifer Pena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:51:07 +0000
Charging for research has brought up an issue we are having at our local
history museum.  We charge an hourly fee to perform research for people who
cannot come to our museum and library to do it themselves.  This was devised
mainly for scholars, individuals doing genealogy work, etc.  We have
recently been approached by groups who want to use our materials for
commercial reasons including productions for television and even decorations
for national chain restaurants.  So far with the television folks, we have
drawn up legal documents to denote how and when they can use our images and
information in their productions.

Should there be a different charge for this research, for the commercial use
of these items, and are there other concerns about this use we should be
thinking about?  I would be interested in finding out if other sites have
these issues and how they are dealing with them.

Jennifer Pena
Wilkes Heritage Museum

Windows Live Spaces is here! It’s easy to create your own personal Web site.
  http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx