From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 11:27:42 -0800
Margaret:

You might try my friend Richard Hertz's "Theories of Contemporary Art"
(1985, Prentice-Hall), which is all words and no pictures, but then
contemporary art is alot about ideas.

If you also mean "modern," as opposed to only "contemporary," (a non-art
audience won't get "contemporary" unless they know something about
"modern") one of the most articulate and perceptive books I have ever read
(a dog-eared and disintegrating copy is on my shelf) is Werner Haftmann's
2-volume "Painting in the Twentieth Century," (1966, Preager -- probably
out of print).  I still find it indespensible and it would be a solid
addition to a library's core collection on the subject.

Margaret Pezalla wrote:

>I work for a small, non-profit organization and I need to compile a list of 4
>or 5 books on contemporary art that would be of interest to people who don't
>have a background in the arts. I am looking for introductory books that would
>appeal to a general audience that could serve as a sort of "core collection"
>of books on contemporary art for a public library.
>
>Can anyone recommend any titles? What are your favorite general reference
>books on contemporary art? What books best explain contemporary art to a
>non-art audience? Send me a list of your 4 or 5 recommendations - email me if
>you don't think they will be of interest to others.

Stephen Nowlin
Vice President
Director, Alyce de Roulet Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, California 91103  USA
(818)396-2397vox (818)405-9104fax