From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:54:33 +0100
>Dear Museum-L folks,
>
>We are interested in creating a fee schedule for art works loaned from the
>permanent collection and are interested in what may have already been done in
>this regard at other museums.  Does your museum have a fee schedule for
>loans?  If so, what criteria were used to determine fees, and would you be
>willing to share your list of fees?
>
>Margaret Kendrick, Intern
>Art Department
>Oakland Museum of California

If you are talking about loans to private individuals or businesses, I'm
surprised to hear that the Oakland Museum would consider using their
permanent collection in this way.  I thought most museums would not
consider such loans.  If you are talking about fees for lending works to
other museums or galleries for exhibition, I'm also surprised.  I've
borrowed many works from museums for our exhibitions and have paid for
shipping and insurance, but never a loan fee.

If you are talking about a rental gallery of non-permanent collection items
then you might try the Los Angeles County Museum of Art for information.
They have a long established art rental program.

Stephen Nowlin
Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
http://www.artcenter.edu/exhibit/williamson.html