From:
Kent Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:10:42 -0500
From:    Alessandra Phillips

Hey, I'll add a few to that list as well....you could try Blind Spot,
Lenswork or Double Take. DT is put out by the Center for Documentary Studies
at Duke and is a nice publication sorta like Aperture in a way, but more
centered around contemporary documentary/journalism projects. I used to get
Aperture for years, but it seemed to get "stale" after a bit--for lack of a
better word. The last 2, although not fine-art oriented are standards in the
industry. Try Communication Arts--they do a monster photo annual once a
year, that even though is loaded with advertising work, alot of these
photographers do cross-over projects. Photo District News is probably the
best photo mag in the US, besides View Camera. PDN covers a broad sector of
the business, from fine-art & documentary, to advertising. The thing to
remember about alot of those "greats" in photography, is that they were also
working photographers as well, plying their trade in commercial work,
portraiture or journalism....I'm not a historian, or a curator--just a
photographer--but I think the up & coming photographers in the future will
come out of the industry just like they did in the past.....

Hope this helps, KT

Kent Thompson,  Photographer
North Carolina Museum of History

Email: [log in to unmask]
Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency.