From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 08:48:40 -0600
Good morning Elizabeth

I may not be of much help. Usually we make the request when we purchase the
reproduction of the photograph. That is, we explain that we wish to use it
in an exhibit.  We are a small history museum and purchased the rights to
use the reproduction of several photographs from a variety of repositories
for an exhibit a few years back.  Our experience was with museums and
archives only. The repositories provided the forms as part of the
purchase/research request.  I believe that some required that I put the
original request in writing, too. When our community partner wished to
produce a video featuring the exhibit, we wrote seeking further permission
for this activity.

I imagine that dealing with situations using more contemporary images or
artists changes the rules of the process.  I look forward to hearing from
others on the list about these issues.

Audra Oliver