From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:47:08 -0800
Consider a cut of beef.  Throughout the meat, you'll frequently find a
marble of fat.  Often, on a steak, it's at the edge.

Some chefs will tell you to leave the fat on when you cook it because
it adds flavor.  Most health professionals will encourage you to not
eat it, whether you include it in your cooking or excise it before you
cook.

Consider the Museums List.  Lots of good meat, sometimes marbled with
little bits, and other times globs, of fat.  Some will tell you it
adds to the flavor of the list--and let us not forget that basic
nutrition also mandates there must be a tiny bit of fat in our diet in
order to stay healthy (kind of like the oil in our car).

Others will tell you that they get their fat in the real world, and
have too much work or other mail to contain the additional morsels of
fat contained here.

Consider my analogy, and then please consider:

1.  Trying to refrain from infusing volatile, nonmuseum topics for the
sake of adding spice (read piss and vinegar) to your life at the
expense of others.

2.  Returning to the "accepted list serve practice" of keeping private
posts private.  Thank yous, most I agrees, and other grunts should be
rendered privately.

The list mail in the last couple of weeks has become, in some regards,
as dysfunctional as the US itself as we endured the trials and
tribulations of impeachment.  That trial is over.  Let decorum of the
list return.

Let's get back to the civility of  this refined list and try to
recapture its wonderful style of olde (as in last summer).

Cut the fat.  Quit the Us and Them Sniping of Canadians v. US, Aussies
v. New Zealanders, Brits v. Other British Islanders, etc.  Say thank
you to the person who deserves the thanks, not the list, unless you
truly feel grandstanding is necessary.  Quit injecting threads that
have no import to the Museum industry, especially if they could be
hurtful to others.

Please.  In the name of civility, I ask you to seriously consider
cutting the fat for the health and well being of the list and its
plethora of fine members from many museums (and the afficionados of
same), and from many nations.

Oh, yes, and if you want to flame the person responsible for this
post, send them to me privately--not to the list unless you truly feel
grandstanding is necessary.

Thank you!

==
Indigo Nights