From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:11:09 +1200
Steve wrote <What else can/should I do to work my  way into this great
field? I have few museum connections, but I just know I  would excel in a
science museum exhibit researcher/curator
(eventually)position. Any and all advice would be welcome>

Steve,

Might I suggest the following:

a) keep avidly reading Web sites that offer fresh and varied job postings on
a regularly basis. GLOBAL MUSEUM is such a site http://www.globalmuseum.org
b) post your resume online (also offered by G.M. )
c) establish a track record of involvement within a museum - part time
volunteering in a Science Museum is one course of action that is very
successful in getting your personal attributes in front of colleagues
d) attend museum courses, seminars and the like and don't be backward about
introducing yourself!
e) join a couple of museum organisations -  AAM and ICOM are two of the best
f) PERSEVERE and don't have too high an expectation as to salary, especially
when starting out

Ultimately if you have the PASSION and the skills you WILL succeed.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search

Roger

Avoid becoming Road-Kill on the Information Superhighway. Read Global Museum
http://www.globalmuseum.org