From:
Luis Nadeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 1995 20:06:28 +0300
> I was doing fieldwork/research at the Dorchester Museum in Dorchester,
> England (in 1987, I think).  I had dinner at a local place on the main
> street (name escapes me), and was joined by rep for the Small Business
> Council--the gov't body responsible for overseeing funding, operations etc..
> for local small business or cottage industries.  They are mostly to provide
> assistance and keep an eye on regulations.
>
> Anyway, he started telling me about his clients (Dorset was his area)--and
> one of them made chastity belts.  He was a blacksmith in the Dorchester
> area, and the chastity belts were a "hot item."  His wife modeled them at
> the local craft shows for him.
>
> I have no idea who bought them (London bankers?).  But somewhere, the
> business should be listed.
>
> Ann Morton

Several years ago I read an article on the subject in, I think, Canada's
_Globe and Mail_

I don't remember the exact details but I recall that they mentioned one
British firm as being the last manufacturer of such items and that most of
their business came from Arab countries in the Middle East.

Luis Nadeau

--
Luis Nadeau