From:
Jon West-Bey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:26:50 -0700
I just visited the museum this past weekend and I
thought that it was very well done.  The exhibitions
were thoughtful and I genuinely got the sense that I
was being told each group's story in their own words.
It used objects, stories, and everything in between to
let people know that the various American Indian
cultures are very much alive and growing.  As museum
professionals, we sometimes get too caught up in what
the text book definition of what a museum is and is
not, and fail to see how museums can be used in
different ways and by different people.  To me, the
museum was not meant to be a place of passive
reflection on culture of the past, the museum is a
place that inspires meaningful dialouge.  I encourage
everyone to check the museum out for yourself and
don't let a couple of negative articles ruin what
could be a very positive experience.

Jon West-Bey, Executive Director
American Poetry Museum