From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:09:29 -0700
Hi Christian,

A few words of advice . . .

#1 Ensure a strong liaison/relationship between the 'friends' and the
museum.  [This will become a lot of work once a friends group gains
momentum; so you might want to include in the strategic plan now, before
it's too late to add, "Work toward developing an annual 'paid internship'
for a student to serve as liaison, financially supported in equal shares by
the friends, the museum, and the College/Department of _______"?]

#2 Tap into the university and local community for friends . . . and
encourage 'word of mouth' advertising to attract more friends.

#3 Keep the annual fee to join the friends low (to cover administrative
costs), but rely upon events to raise funds.

#4 Ensure events are multi-faceted (if possible).  Some more casual -- like
an afternoon tea with scones and conversation with the Director; a film
screening and discussion; a hands-on workshop to learn about some aspect of
the historic house; etc.  Some more formal -- a cocktail hour followed by a
guest speaker, with a sit-down dinner and silent auction; a concert followed
by coffee and dessert; a wine tasting.  The larger the variety of events,
the larger your potential audience.

#5 Encourage 'friends' to get their friends/companies to support your
programs.  Provide them adequate tools to market the museum . . . a wish
list of oft-used goods (new and used) and services (gift certificates),
sound bites about the facility and programs, etc.

#6 Keep the 'friends' focused on their 'mission statement' so they do not
deviate into undesired/unnecessary territory.

#7 Keep them well-informed about what will be going on at the museum as far
in advance as possible.

#8 Do not expect immediate results.

I'm sure others have more to add . . .

Best wishes, sincerely,