Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 15:30:26 EDT
According to Robin Panza, serving as an intern is no different than taking
classes.  Why then, should an intern expect to be paid?  I'll tell you why:
because an internship is *nothing* like taking classes!

With only some *very rare* exceptions, an educational institution does not
derive direct benefit from a student's classroom work.  However, with an
internship, the Museum DOES benefit directly from the intern's work.  Many
people posting to this thread have already eloquently testified to that
fact.

It was not very long ago that participants on this list were bemoaning
the underpaid/overworked state that most museum professionals find
themselves in.  If you don't value the work of your interns enough
to provide even minimal monetary compensation, how can you reasonably
expect your employer to give your work the value (read: compensation)
it deserves?  Your employer's heartfelt appreciation doesn't pay
your rent, and your appreciation won't pay your intern's.

I would like to add that I don't think that this is a sin only
of museums.  The university system is increasingly relying on
underpaid (and in some cases *unpaid*) teaching assistants to take
up the teaching load which formerly was the responsibility of
the tenured/tenure track faculty.  And what does the university
say to it's exploited underlings?  "You should be grateful for
the experience!  It's part of your professional development!"
All the while carefully omitting mention of the fact that the ultimate
beneficiary of this "professional development" is the university,
which saves a bundle on salaries and benefits.

Paula Molloy
Repatriation Office
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution