From:
Art Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:14:35 -0700
I fear there may be some confusion about the concept of testibility.  It
merely means that there are imbedded within a hypothesis the potential
to see if observations agree with it. As I understand it, Einstein's
theory of relativity implied several things about the material universe;
if so, it was testible in the sense used in science, whether or not the
means of carrying out such tests were immediately available.  In due
time, a number of tests were carried out, which could not have been done
if the theory was not testible.  I'm unaware (due to ignorance on my
part?) of any generally accepted (past or present) scientific hypothesis
not testible. Unless there's some potential way to test, it's merely an
assertion, not a scientific hypothesis.  The weakness of ID is that its
proponents cannot come up with a test to differentiate between
ignorance (the "I can't conceive of how that would be possible"
syndrome) and intervention by an intellect.; since science has
consistently been able to explain things on the basis of natural
processes, the burden would seem to be on the ID people.  And, of
course, a hypothesis that can explain everything without leading to new
knowledge is worthless; "God did it" isn't a bit helpful!

Art Harris