From:
Colleen Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 1994 12:22:30 -0330
The Newfoundland Museum has requested my help in cataloguing
a recently acquired tea cozy. The first known owner of the
object came here from Cornwall, England, around 1900; we do
not know for certain, but suspect that the item came with
him.

The cozy measures  9.5 inches tall by 13.5 inches wide and
resembles a thatch-roof cottage.  The support fabric is an
open weave using finely twisted paper cord for both the warp
and the weft and the cottage imagery is developed by
interweaving and embroidering all surfaces with coloured
raffia. The tea cozy is filled with cotton batting for
insulation and is lined with cotton fabric.

I would appreciate comments from any list subscribers who
have seen such an item.    Thanks.

Colleen Lynch
St. John's, NF   Canada